You formed my inmost being; you knit me in my mother’s womb. I praise you, because I am wonderfully made; wonderful are your works! My very self you know. My bones are not hidden from you, When I was being made in secret, fashioned in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw me unformed; in your book all are written down; my days were shaped, before one came to be. - Pslams 139:13-16
The Diocesan Office of the Apostolate for People with Disabilities hope to assist the faithful in bringing the principles of justice and inclusion to the many new and evolving challenges confronted by persons with disabilities today. We recognize and appreciate the contribution persons with disabilities make to the Church’s spiritual life.
- The Office of the Apostolate for People with Disabilities ministers to persons with intellectual, cognitive, developmental, physical, hearing, sight disabilities and psychological disorders.
- Our Office goal is to follow Jesus’s example and continue His earthly ministry of bringing healing and salvation to all, but in a special way to the people we serve.
The Office of the Apostolate for People with Disabilities:
- Facilitates Faith Formation for people with disabilities throughout the Diocese of Providence by supporting existing programs and developing new programs as needed
- In collaboration with pastors and parishes will assure Sacramental access for children and adults with disabilities. Call our office for more information regards Faith Formation programs
- Facilitates strategies on improving architectural and program access
- Works with clergy and families as well as other partners to ensure that people with disabilities throughout their lifespan, and as members of the Body of Christ, participate fully in their parishes and communities
- Home Communion Visits are available to those requesting
- Encourage participation in Special Mass Celebrations for those with disabilities
- Coordinate monthly Signed liturgies for the deaf and hearing impaired